We love apples, oranges, peaches, plums, but never tried mangoes until recently. We found they are sweet and luscious.
Yesterday we picked up a large mango at the fruit stand. I peeled
the firm skin and sliced the golden yellow into a bowl. I nabbed a few slices as I peeled and mixed a few more slices with fresh strawberries.
Later on, my palms began to itch. My cheeks began to feel uncomfortable and my left eye seemed a little puffy.
“Oh no, “I thought.”The mango!”
I nabbed an antihistamine from the medicine cabinet. My throat became sore when I swallowed. I told my husband to call 911 fast if I started to wheeze!
Fortunately the antihistamine kicked in and the redness on my palms began to disappear. My mouth and throat began to ease up. I scooted to CVS, picked up the generic benadryl and popped in two tabs. I could feel my body calming down.
Turns out mango is related distantly to poison ivy. Urushiol,found in poison ivy and poison oak, is an irritant that can be found on the mango skin, especially when the mango is less ripe. The skin and sap causes redness, itching and discomfort. Many times sensitive people can eat the mango without a reaction, as long as someone peels it! However, that’s the end of my mango mania no matter who peels it!
So, Beware the innocent mango.